Why is the Lazy Susan one of the most unloved kitchen cabinet accessory? This is most often due to past negative experiences. Many have either grown up or lived with a poorly functioning Lazy Susan. There were many bad designs and most were extremely flimsy and hard to turn. We often hear complaints of the old metal Susan’s which were mostly known for that awful creaking noise the second it started spinning!
Here are some of our favourite quotes from those that dislike Lazy Susans.
FUNCTIONAL REASONS WHY SOME PEOPLE DISLIKE THE LAZY SUSAN:
I don’t like the lack of accessibility from my Lazy Susan.
I find the spinning motion annoying.
Things are always falling off of the shelves and getting lost.
I can’t adjust the height of my Lazy Susan shelves.
My old Lazy Susan is really hard to turn.
STORAGE REASONS WHY SOME PEOPLE DISLIKE THE LAZY SUSAN:
I don’t like the amount wasted space with a Lazy Susan.
There is no option to efficiently organize items on a Lazy Susan shelf
I can’t store what I want in my Lazy Susan.
I don’t like the pole/shaft in the middle.
I don’t know what to store in there.
If you are unsure of what to do with your corner cabinet, look no further. Here are 5 substitutes for a Lazy Susan that could make you fall back in love with your corner cabinet.
5 LAZY SUSAN ALTERNATIVES:
1. Adjustable Height Shelves: It’s a simple solution, but an effective alternative solution. Most Base Corner Cabinets come with one standard shelf, but you can easily add more at the time of order. It doesn’t fix all of the accessibility issues with a corner cabinet, but it works for some.
2. Corner Drawers: This is definitely one of your most expense options, but probably the most ergonomic solution for your corner. As you can see, this is an incredible way to use a corner and everything you store becomes extremely accessible. Unfortunately, this is not a retrofit item or something that can be added to an existing kitchen. Adding corner drawers takes great planning due to the large footprint and opening clearance requirements. It needs to be incorporated into a new kitchen remodel or renovation. When planning corner drawers, always consult a professional kitchen & bath designer.
3. Corner Recycle Center: It sounds crazy, but consider the triple corner recycling center if you are looking for another option. This is an interesting corner cabinet accessory which acts as a holding area for recyclables such as cans, bottles, paper, etc. This is perfect for those that have a spot for their kitchen essentials and need a place to store the awkward things such as recycling.
4. Super Susan: What is a Super Susan? This is where you have fixed shelves with a single Lazy Susan tray that spins independently on top of the shelf. There are typically two of them in one corner cabinet. This removes the pole/shaft that so many people hate. The removal of the pole now allows you to store much larger items, while maintaining the practical spinning motion.
5. Lazy Susan Spice Rack: Here is a unique and innovative corner cabinet solution. The Lazy Susan Spice Rack is a corner cabinet alternative on the market, which allows the opportunity to store pots and pans in a corner cabinet as well as spices and jars. It helps keep pots and pans organized, plus its unique design offers very ergonomic usage of your corner cabinet. It also uses almost the entire space of your corner cabinet, unlike other organizers. The added bonus is you get to store two things in one cabinet which is perfect for smaller kitchens.
There are many options available for your base corner cabinet. The Lazy Susan is still a very popular option for clients of today. Today’s designs are much more functional and attractive and come in plastic or laminated hardwood. We always recommend stopping by a kitchen and bathroom showroom and look at the new versions of Lazy Susan’s, as you might be pleasantly surprised. Most importantly, take stock of what you would like to store in your corner cabinet and we’ll help you find the best solution based on your requirements.
ARE YOU READY TO START YOUR REMODELING PROJECT?
Sign up for a FREE in-store consultation today. Let us bring your dreams to reality.